Monday, April 14, 2008

Foolsgold...Food for Thought

So I'm reading the book Foolsgold by Susan G. Wooldridge. (I'm all about anything that feeds my creativity.) First off let me say that my plate is overflowing right now so my reading addiction has been suffering. One of the great things about this book is that the chapters are short. I can squeeze reading in here and there. This is a really big deal to me since I hate to start something and not finish it. Even a chapter in a book. hmmm, maybe I'm a bit demanding. I live by the motto "How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time". I eat elephants every day, and the only way I keep sane while I do it is one bite at a time. Anyway, back to the book. One of the things that really keeps hitting me upside the head is to let go. Give yourself time. Time to do nothing, to relax, to reflect on what's around you, time to be in the moment. And I'm also realizing how much getting out in the world make a difference and recharges us. Especially if it's someplace very organic and natural. Yesterday we loaded up the kids and headed out on the desert. One of our family road trips. We haven't done this for a long time and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I was tired, and hurting from some infections I'm battling, and just plain wore out. I guess when you go 90 miles an hour all the time you're bound to run out of gas at some point. But I really focusing on just being there with my family. We ended up at a trilobyte bed and spent the better part of an hour digging around in the rocks fishing for ancient remnants of these little creatures. It was so relaxing and invigorating. And then I'd hear "mom, mom! look at this! I found one!" The kids thought they had hit the mother load. Meghan (my 3 year old), even got in on the action. When she finally got bored she found new entertainment in throwing rocks at me. Silly Goose! My point is, during this time of just being, I noticed I was getting all these new ideas. And who knew the smell of sagebrush and cedar trees could be so energizing. I guess I did know, I had just forgotten. It's time to slow down, breathe, and relax. Remembering there is a lot to be gained in the little things. Sometimes doing something meaningless is the most productive thing you can do for yourself. I'm constantly telling Shane, "if my body could keep up with mind we'd have it made". And right now my body is tired and it is so frustrating. But I'm trying to understand maybe what my body is telling me is to slow down. Take it easy for a minute. Funny thing is, I don't remember how.

Anyway, if you have read this book I would love to hear your thoughts on it. What did you learn about yourself? What things did it make you look at differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...