Thursday, May 19, 2011

Following Up In The Moment

0519010827.jpg
I've gotten some really great feedback on yesterday's blog post from a few of the ladies over at EBSQ Art. Connie Bissell shared this tip:
Example: make a to do list, let's say like clean bathroom, vacuum, etc., then once the list is complete, put how much time you think it will take to complete right next to it. When you get ready to do the list, only allow that allotted time to get it done. Back then, when I was super-dooper Susie Homemaker, this worked great for me. It helped me remain focused on the task at hand. Usually I will be putting something away and when I put it where it belongs in another room, I see something in that room to move/pick up/put away and all of a sudden I am running in circles forgetting the main reason I got there in the first place!
Needless to say, I bought a timer yesterday. This is going to work great for me for the tasks that don't need to be completed right now such as research, blog design, Facebook updates, and so on. The timer, somehow in my head, gives me permission to work a little on those projects every day. I tend to think if I only have 10 minutes, that's not really time to finish anything, so I'll waste that 10 minutes doing nothing.

Alma Lee made another great point, lists don't work for everyone. Here's what she had to say.
For me lists don't work for me, in fact when my sister and I were working on the house together, (she a list fanatic) actually asked permission to leave a list, in that case it was necessary in order to know where we were at. But they actually annoy the crap out of me, even the one I write. I am thinking that the best way FOR ME is to try and live and focus on the present...really inhabit it, that way I am not going to be quickly lead off topic on a whim as I will be focused on what I am doing.
I really thought this was so interesting. There are those amazing people out there who really can do that. Stay focused and in the moment. If I can get started on a project I'm good. My problem is I get so much rolling around in my head I don't know where to start, and then I get totally lost in what I'm doing and don't know when to stop. For me, a list gives me something to reflect back on. That list keeps me on track and helps keep me present. I'm totally envious of all of you who have the self discipline to stay in the moment. Which leads me to another point.

The core of everything is to stay in the moment. I believe that. To be present in every second allows you to get the most out of life. Having your brain somewhere else other than right now is counterproductive and distracting, in my opinion. How many moments get wasted and lost because we're too busy thinking about something else to appreciate them? Most of us are reaching for the same end result, we just have to get there in different ways. It's important to get to know YOU and find what works for YOU. And hopefully, there has been something here in the last couple of days that will give you some ideas or get you brainstorming on how to get the most out of your time. If you have ideas or something you'd like to share, please don't hesitate to comment or email me. After all, we're all in this together.

And thanks to everyone who has already shared what works for them!

As promised yesterday, I am working on another blog post about respecting your own time. Had hoped to put it with today's follow up, but the follow up ended up a whole post by itself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...