Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mind Dumping ... Simplify and Regroup

0516011128_0001.jpg


I honestly don't think anyone would argue the fact that time is really a royal pain in the ass. We're either anticipating an upcoming event in which the waiting seems endless, or we're chasing our tail in circles trying to fit all our responsibilities in. For years I've used phrases like, "there's not enough hours in the day", or "I wish my body could keep up with what my mind wants to accomplish." The mere act of thinking (much less saying) those thoughts is a waste of time in and of itself. Action makes change. And to get a positive action, you have to start with a positive thought.

I, like everyone else, am crazy busy right now. The kids are finishing up all their end of year activities which requires my attention. I've got orders to ship, updates to be done, yard work, laundry, art, a new project to get off the ground, research, the list goes on and on. I found myself in a complete tither yesterday morning. Total and complete panic about not being Superwoman and how the hell I was going to get everything done. And then I remembered something I used to do in my busiest times that always seemed to relieve the pressure. WRITE IT ALL DOWN. I dug my little, super cute (and very empty), notebook from my purse and made myself a "to do" list for the week. Five minutes tops and I had not only my responsibilities for the week laid out, but also my goals. The relief was instant. And guess what? I had one of the most productive days I've had in a very long time.

I honestly believe mind dumping (as I like to call it) is essential to our sanity. It gets all the crap that rolls around in our head out so we can actually focus on what we're doing, and get something done. There is also one other piece of advice I have to go along with this. If you do not get everything accomplished, don't beat yourself up over it. Realize you are only human and some things are going to slide. Start the next day, or week, with a fresh start. Anything you didn't get done, just move it on over to the next week and prioritize those things closer to the top of your list.

Tomorrow I have a blog post planned for respecting your own time. But for now I get to scratch one more item off my list for today, and move on to the next. There really is a lot of satisfaction in that.

Almost forgot, the image at the top of this post is a quick peek at a new art journal page I'm working on. :) Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Love the journal page but love the post more! You are so right, to do lists have to be flexable!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...