Monday, November 14, 2011

Art Saves and Inspires

artsaves
I recently purchased this book at one of my favorite chain book stores. It was the kind of purchase I had to stew over for about 20 minutes and even put a few of my favorite magazines back on the shelf in order to buy it. To say money is tight these days is an understatement, so I really have to pick and choose. $24.99 is a hefty investment for me right now. But...this book was worth every penny. While the techniques are wonderful, that's not what drew me in.

Jenny Doh has done some amazing things, beyond just being arty. And Crescendoh is about so much more than just the techniques. It is inspiring! The running theme...ART SAVES. And I believe this to be true. I tend to lean toward blogs and books that have an underlying message beyond just the "how too's". Because at the end of the day, art is about your soul, and expression of your soul. Art is pure freedom in a world full of rules and regulations. And Art can pull you through this life in any circumstance. If you don't believe me, just read these articles on Crescendoh.

While I'm not quite ready to share my entire story yet, this book has inspired me to step, just a little, outside of my comfort zone. First thing this morning I called one of the ladies that heads up our local community center. I'm meeting with her tomorrow to (fingers crossed) start teaching art to the children in our community. As if you can really teach art (the techniques are totally teachable). Teaching Art is more about teaching positive self expression of the soul. At least this holds true in my world. And I've thought about doing something like this for years. I just haven't dared act on it.

I'm nervous! And excited! And scared to death! But in the spirit of sharing what I've learned by being an artist, I'm going to give it a shot, and hopefully be able to inspire these kids to be creative and to share their creativity. I also know that the inspiration I will gain from them will be immeasurable.

There is a lot of fear bouncing around in my head about all this. I've never really fit in here. EVER. And most days I'm ok with that. I keep to myself, do my own thing my own way, and try to stay out of everyone else's way as much as possible. I have occasionally been crucified by judgment and been the subject of petty gossip. And anyone who has dealt with that knows how painful it can be. Especially when your children get tormented because of who you are. So this is a really HUGE step for me. Putting myself out there and KNOWING full well there will be someone who has something to say about it. And that something they have to say won't be nice and it will be said to my kids. But I am hopeful that what I have to offer will be worth whatever scorn is thrown at me and my children. If I only teach one person, just one, how amazing Art really is, and if I can teach my kids how to step through the fear and be themselves regardless of what anyone has to say about it...It will be worth it.

Have a great day everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...