Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Not Entirely An Epic Fail

This is all I have to show for yesterday's efforts.

It only took about three hours to finally get the solder to flow.  I practiced on this small sheet of copper with hard paste, wire and sheet solders.  There are so many variables to consider.  The metal HAS to be super clean, your flame just right, how fast you heat the piece, and the flux you're using makes a difference too.  There was A LOT of trial and error yesterday.

I almost didn't post about this today.  I tend to get a little embarrassed when I can't do things perfectly the first time.  I had to back myself up and remember how many hours it took me to get soldering with my wand down.  I"m pretty much self taught in everything I've ever done.  Rarely am I afraid to try new things.  But I tend to forget the awkwardness of it all in the beginning.


Now while I am a total perfectionist and get severely frustrated with myself in the beginning of new adventures; there is also this other really cool dynamic of my personality that balances that out.  When I want to do or learn something, and I have made up my mind to do it, I am RELENTLESS!  This is how all my great accomplishments have come to pass.  This is how I taught myself to build my first website, design graphics, paint, make jewelry, fix computers, get published, drive a standard transmission, literally everything I've ever done.

Here in this small town there's not much in the way of classes for most anything I've ever wanted to do.  I've had to learn to rely on my research and practice skills.  Being able to do that has served me well.  I'm also not the kind of person to just give up and walk away when the passion is there.  This time is no different.  My goal is bigger than my frustration. 

I've got a few other projects to work on today and a bit more organizing to do.  The hour I spent cleaning up last night was just wasted time in my eyes.  That's an hour I could have been practicing.  By this evening I'll be back to the fire. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...