Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Gratitude and Curiosity, The Spices of My Life

I took a character strength quiz a few years ago.  It was no surprise to me when Gratitude showed up as #1 and Curiosity came it at #2.  These two elements of who I am are the salt and pepper to my everyday life.


From the time I was very young I was taught that there is something good in every experience.  No matter how painful, there is always something good that comes with the bad.  It comes naturally for me to look for the silver lining, my curiosity wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm grateful for that.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit crazy.  A few days after we got home from our ride I headed out to Callao Ut to visit my son and see exactly what his new job consists of.  The girls and I went with him to do his chores, get the grand tour of the ranch, and visit Indian Farm canyon and some ponds nearby.  It's so so beautiful out there.  Then Monday morning it was time to load up and get my oldest daughter to Volleyball camp.  Lots of traveling for this girl lately.

I had a feeling the day before we headed out to Callao that I was going to blow a tire during the trip.  Sure enough, just before I headed back in to town, I lost a rear.  Lucky for us we were on a dirt road and I was driving pretty slow.  My boy and I (along with some very appreciated help here and there) managed to get the spare on an get me back on the road.  I didn't realize how very lucky we were until yesterday.  After having a new tire put on I noticed that a vibration I had noticed a few weeks earlier was all but gone.  Turns out that tire was coming apart long before I blew it.  There had been several trips, with speeds of up to 80mph, before the blowout.  Most of which someone I love dearly was with me.  Gratitude at it's finest right there folks!  That tire was gonna go no matter what.  My family and I were being watched over to have it happen where it did.  Once again we were all taken care of.  Still today, doing this blog post, it starts the water works.  Great big tears of gratitude.

I don't know first hand the adversities and challenges other families face.  I only know ours and my own.  I know it was my curiosity that led me to the people that mean the most in my life and my gratitude that enables me to express my genuine love and admiration for them.  I know the gratitude for my children and the curiosity to see how my son is doing his work led me to Callao and quite possibly prevented one of us from being seriously injured.  All that along with the divine hand of God protecting us.

Without curiosity I would not be where I am.  I would not be able to call myself an artist.  I would not have found the love of my life.  I would not have the children I do.  I would have never got on a motorcycle.  Never traveled to Canada.  Never experienced all the amazing things I have and I would not live the adventures I do daily.

Without gratitude I wouldn't even know how much I love those closest to me.  I wouldn't understand how blessed I am.  I wouldn't even be able to conceive all the beauty in my life.  Especially when things get tough.  I simply would not understand the gift that has been given to me to live in this body, with these people, and GET to experience all the dynamics of life with them.


So on the days when I'm being tested, when my bank account says I'm so screwed, when things are changing (as they always do), when the darkness starts creeping back in, I take a big step back and allow myself to see the beauty even in the hard.  I allow myself to be grateful for the experience and allow my curiosity to keep my patient enough to see how it's all going to turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...